Friday, September 10, 2010

Pasta & White sauce Friday: Pork Chops ($2.07)

I've been going through the freezer taking stock of what's in there and there are quite a few meal-size bags of porkchops (from the last pork loin I bought, not the bags I added last week) so that's what I fixed for our main meal today. This is an adaptation of a recipe I found awhile back on Allrecipes  Normally I scatter some lightly sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper slices, and onion on top of the porkchops, but having none of those in my crisper I had to make a stripped down version.

3-Pork chops ($1.50)
1-can of cream of mushroom soup (.40)
1/2 bag of small shells (.15)
1/4 cup of milk (.02)

Place thawed pork chops in the bottom of the crockpot, spoon a can of soup over top (undiluted), cover and cook on high for three hours. Remove porkchops to a serving plate. Whisk milk into the soup in the crockpot. Stir in cooked pasta and serve.

After lunch we went to the farmers market and came home with two big red peppers and a small cucumber--for $1! I love the farmers market but can't afford most of the produce (although having pulled weeds for hours as a kid I would say it's probably way under priced!) So I normally go in the afternoon when the crowds have dispersed and see if there's any deals to be had.  My daughter got the cucumber for being cute--she was in awe of the piles of produce and the vendor gave her a small cucumber to carry. I wish I could have purchased something from her for her kindness but they were selling bushels of produce, not by the piece. I'll for sure remember her stall though, that was a great way to earn my future business! :)  One of the peppers will find its way into my sons lunchbox this week, the other I hope to roast and make some homemade hummus. I've never tried making it before but my kids both love the roasted red pepper hummus we get from Walmart. It cost $3 for a small tub and I figured I ought to be able to make it for half that. I'll let you know how it turns out next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment