Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Eggs: Ham Puff ($1.50)

I got this recipe from my Mother-in-Law, it's not only cheap, it's fast, easy, and delicious!

1/2 cup butter (.50)
1 cup water (free)
4 eggs (.20)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (.15)
1/2 cup chopped ham(.55)
1 cup flour (.10)

Melt the butter, stir in water, beat in eggs, stir in cheese and ham, and finally stir in the flour. Pour into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan and bake for 35+ minutes at 350 until it starts to get a bit brown around the edges. To double the recipe, bake in a 9X13 and increase bake time to 45-50 minutes.

Frugal tip: I normally make it with a lot more ham. Today I used chopped/shaved deli ham so it still looks like there's a lot of meat without there actually *being* a lot of meat.  In an effort to make this dish even cheaper, I substituted oil for half of the butter because I have oodles of oil. It was ok but I could tell the difference--we still polished it off but I won't make that substitution again unless I have to. Maybe next time I'll try it with half butter and half margarine and see if that's any better. We love our butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment